Edward A. Lin, MD
Edward A. Lin, M.D. grew up in Flushing, Queens and attended Stuyvesant High School in New York, where he distinguished himself with a perfect 1600 SAT score. He subsequently enrolled in the 8-year combined BA/MD program at New York University, where he graduated summa cum laude with honors in biology. He completed his medical degree at NYU School of Medicine, where he received multiple awards and graduated with honors in orthopaedic surgery. Dr. Lin went on to complete his orthopaedic surgery residency at the NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases in New York. NYU is one of the highest ranked orthopaedic residency programs in the country. He then finished his training at the renowned Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship Program at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Dr. Lin is an expert in the management of all upper extremity conditions, especially those affecting the fingers/hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder. He is the author of numerous publications in the medical literature, and has written on the topics of cartilage regeneration, bone fracture healing, and nerve injury. He has given numerous lectures and presentations to other orthopaedic surgeons throughout the country.
Dr. Lin specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery, which includes the surgical and non-surgical treatment of the following conditions:
- Fingers/Hand – fractures and dislocations, thumb pain/arthritis , carpal tunnel syndrome, tendon and nerve injury, trigger finger, sports injury, nerve compression, dupuytrens, arthritis, circulation problems, finger injuries/deformities, stiffness, ligament injury, nail problems, rheumatoid arthritis, infections, joint replacement.
- Wrist – fracture, sports injury, cartilage injury, arthritis, cysts, ligament and tendon injuries, impaction syndrome, kienbock’s disease, wrist arthroscopy.
- Elbow – fracture, dislocation, tennis elbow, sports injury, tendon injury, nerve compression, cartilage injury, ligament tears, arthritis, stiffness, elbow arthroscopy, elbow replacement.
- Shoulder – rotator cuff tear, impingement/bursitis, labral tear, biceps tendonitis/rupture, sports injury, fracture, nerve/brachial plexus injury, arthritis, shoulder arthroscopy, shoulder replacement.
SPECIALTY: Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship Program
- Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship Program
- New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases
- New York University School of Medicine
- New York University, College of Arts and Sciences,
- Bachelor of Arts in Biology
- American Association for Hand Surgery (AAHS)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
HONORS & AWARDS:
- Excellence in Musculoskeletal Research Award, NYU School of Medicine
- Bertraum M Gesner Award for Immunology, NYU School of Medicine
- NYU Dean’s List
- NYU Presidential Scholar
- George Schwartz Prize in Biology
- Wortis Biological Prize
- NYU Founder’s Day Award
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Lin EA, Liu CJ, Monroy A, Khurana S, Egol KA. Prevention of Atrophic Nonunion by the Systemic Administration of Parathyroid Hormone (PTH 1-34) in an Experimental Animal Model. J Orthop Trauma. 2012 Dec; 26(12): 719-23.
- Wang D, Bai X, Tian Q, Lai Y, Lin EA, Shi Y, Mu X, Feng JQ, Carlson CS, Liu CJ. GEP constitutes a negative feedback loop with MyoD and acts as a novel mediator in controlling skeletal muscle differentiation. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012 Jun;69(11):1855-73. Epub 2011 Dec 17.
- Tang W, Lu Y, Tian QY, Zhang Y, Guo FJ, Liu GY, Syed NM, Lai Y, Lin EA, Kong L, Su J, Yin F, Ding AH, Zanin-Zhorov A, Dustin ML, Tao J, Craft J, Yin Z, Feng JQ, Abramson SB, Yu XP, Liu CJ. The growth factor progranulin binds to TNF receptors and is therapeutic against inflammatory arthritis in mice. Science. 2011 Apr 22;332(6028):478-84. Epub 2011 Mar 10.
- Guo F, Lin EA, Liu P, Lin J, Liu C. XBP1U inhibits the XBP1S-mediated upregulation of the iNOS gene expression in mammalian ER stress response. Cell Signal. 2010 Dec;22(12):1818-28. Epub 2010 Jul 15.
- Lin EA, Min W, Christoforou D, Tejwani NC. Young and burgess type I lateral compression pelvis fractures: a comparison of anterior and posterior pelvic ring injuries. Orthopedics. 2010 Jun 9;33(6):389.
- Lin EA and Liu CJ, The role of ADAMTSs in arthritis. Protein Cell. 2010 Jan;1(1):33-47. Epub 2010 Feb 7.
- Guo F, Lai Y, Tian Q, Lin EA, Kong L, Liu C. Granulin-epithelin precursor binds directly to ADAMTS-7 and ADAMTS-12 and inhibits their degradation of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein. Arthritis Rheum. 2010 Jul;62(7):2023-36.
- Lin EA and Liu CJ, The emerging roles of ADAMTS-7 and ADAMTS-12 matrix metalloproteinases. Open Access Rheumatology. 2009 Sep:1:121-131.
- Lin EA, Kong L, Bai XH, Luan Y, Liu CJ. miR-199a, a bone morphogenic protein 2-responsive MicroRNA, regulates chondrogenesis via direct targeting to Smad1. J Biol Chem. 2009 Apr 24;284(17):11326-35. Epub 2009 Feb 27.
- Lin EA, Zhang XS, Levine SM, Gill SR, Falush D, Blaser, MJ. Natural transformation of helicobacter pylori involves the integration of short DNA fragments interrupted by gaps of variable size. PLoS Pathog. 2009 Mar;5(3):e1000337. Epub 2009 Mar 13.
- Levine S, Lin E, Emara W, Kang J, DiBenedetto M, Ando T, Falush D, Blaser MJ. Plastic cells and populations: DNA substrate characteristics in Helicobacter pylori transformation define a highly flexible but conservative system for genomic variation. FASEB J. 2007 Nov;21(13):3458-67.
- Lin E, Hamula M, Snir N, Wolfson T, Garofolo G, Rokito A, Strauss E, Jazrawi L. Suprascapular Nerve Releases: Indications & Techniques. Abstract Accepted 2014 AAOS annual meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Lin E, Alfonso D, Eisemon E, Choueka J, Paksima N, and Lee S. Surgical interventions to lessen neuroma formation in a rat model, Abstract presentation, 2011 American Society for Surgery of the Hand annual meeting, Las Vegas, NV, Sep 8 2011.
- Lin EA, Liu CJ, Monroy A, Khurana S, Egol KA. Recombinant human parathyroid hormone enhances healing in a mouse nonunion model, Paper presentation, 2011 Orthopaedic Trauma Association annual meeting, San Antonio, TX Oct 13 2011.
- Lin EA, Liu CJ, Monroy A, Khurana S, Egol KA. Recombinant human parathyroid hormone enhances healing in a mouse nonunion model, Podium presentation, 2011 AAOS annual meeting, San Diego, CA Feb 16 2011.
- Lin E, Alfonso D, Eisemon E, Choueka J, Paksima N, and Lee S. Surgical interventions to lessen neuroma formation in a rat model, Podium presentation, 2011 AAOS annual meeting, San Diego, CA Feb 16 2011.
- Lin EA, Levine SM, and Blaser MJ, Natural transformation of Helicobacter pylori involves the integration of DNA fragments interrupted by gaps of variable size. Abstract presentation, 103rd National Meeting of the American Society of Microbiology, Washington, DC. May 2003.
- Lin E, Sgouros G, The synergistic and additive effects of Bi-213 labeled antibodies and ionizing radiation on MCF7 spheroids. Submission, Intel Science Competition, Jan 2000.